Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Holes in the ground and cakes, oh how they mock me


Hey everyone (by which I mean Mark, Patty, and Isaac)!  I’m back with more wonderful stories on how I’m combating my boredom!  I’ve been very productive lately with little projects, but more importantly I’m seeing more success on my job search!  These last two days in fact have proven to be the most profitable in job hunting than any day over the last four months I’ve been applying!  I won’t get into too much detail about it though; don’t want to bore you all!  But I will say that I already had an interview with one program that I’m very interested in and will have a phone interview on Friday for another engineering position!  Both require me to move to the West Coast, which I think would be absolutely awesome!  More on that later as I get more information on this whole thing!  Moving on…

My mother has of late noticed that I have had a lot of extra time on my hands and has decided to utilize me and my services.  One thing you should know about my mom is that she can’t stand not having something to do (I obviously get this from her).  She therefore decides to fill her spare time by doing a lot of refurbishing around the house and yard, making everything look very pretty.  Her current project is to fix this rather large culvert that is eroding away at an alarming rate with each rainfall.  Our house is situated on the bluff side in a way that essentially all the rainwater above us pours down and through our backyard.  This results in a raging river of rain water that carries a remarkable amount of soil away and creating this huge crater around the culvert.  This is where I come in. 

Mom had me look at this ever increasing parameter around the culvert and with my engineering skills try to figure out a way to solve this problem.  Alright, I couldn’t really use my engineering skills (aerospace doesn’t really deal with rain wash), but I was able to come up with a suitable plan that may fix things.  What we will be doing to prevent any more damage is surrounding the hole with large, heavy bags of sand to prevent the water from rushing over the edge and collecting more soil.  To help slow the water down as well we are also dispersion rocks and pebbles around the sand bag barrier and on the hill above the culvert.  With luck, this will stop this crater from getting any bigger.  I’ll be working on this in the morning, so I’ll keep you all updated (woo hoo!).  If anyone has any ideas to help us, please do share!

Besides helping out my mom with side little projects like this, I occasionally will find myself doing something random on the spur of the moment.  Depending on my resources, this may range from knitting or crocheting (which is most likely), to baking in the kitchen, or something completely different.  Tonight, it was baking a cake.  I had it all planned out: it would have bright purple frosting , stars and dinosaur sprinkles, possibly with the saying ‘I’m bored’ written across it, and above all be absolutely delicious!  Well, it was delicious (if I do say so myself) and it did have the purple frosting and sprinkles on it.  The appearance and over all structure of the cake left much to be desired…. 



I call it ‘Fail Cake’!  Horray!   

Well, that's all I’ll probably divulge today!  I have plenty more to tell, but I fear this post is long enough as it is.  Plus, I will want more things to talk about in future blogs!  I’ll try to post more frequently!  Anyways, I’m off to bed!  I’m super tired!  I’ll tell you that story as to why I’m so tired … tomorrow!  Oh the suspense!!!!  Until then, GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!

2 comments: